SocialHRCamp Vancouver 2023
We are finally back in the beautiful city of Vancouver where SocialHRCamp began in May 2012. While it has been a while since we ran our last SocialHRCamp at BC Tech Association, we will be rocking it out in a brand new venue, BCIT Tech Collider. This new version of SocialHRCamp will provide a phenomenal opportunity for hands-on learning and networking. It’s an understatement that the world of work has drastically changed since the pandemic started in March 2020. We have seen a massive proliferation of technology, more distributed teams across multiple timezones, the traditional idea of “the workplace” being completely turned upside down, and a continued rising trend of employee burnout and declining mental health. HR leaders have been thrown into the limelight to help their organizations navigate and manage all of these major changes. Further, due to our volatile business climate, we have seen many organizations go through downsizing and restructuring, all while the job market is ultra-competitive. These highly complex and interconnected challenges have tested the skills and abilities of HR leaders and teams. SocialHRCamp Vancouver 2023 is all about “how HR/Talent can effectively manage through layoffs and an ultra-competitive job market”.
As we curate and create the agenda, we will be updating this webpage with event speakers, sponsors and agenda topics, on the fly. Session topics will include helping HR navigate our difficult business climate – continuing to protect and nurture a strong employer brand, employee experience, total compensation, recruiting, workplace culture — hybrid structure, leadership, etc…
In the meantime, make sure you grab your ticket before we’re sold out. Spots are limited to 175 participants. Grab your ticket today — great networking, hands-on learning and insights into the world of HR and social technology. #SHRC23
- 5:00 - 5:30pm
- Registration & Networking
- 5:30 - 5:45pm
- Opening & Welcome
- 5:45 - 6:05pm
- Lightning Talks with Teamtailor & Findem
- 6:10 - 6:40pm
- Break-Out 1a - Prioritizing Candidate Experience & Why It Matters
- This session will cover key opportunities for hiring managers and recruiters alike to create exceptional candidate experiences during a time of job scarcity and an over-saturated talent market. You’ll learn: a) What is candidate experience and why it matters, b) Common mistakes companies make when hiring, c)Quick wins to improve the inclusiveness and accessibility of your recruitment process, d) Tips on how to leverage recruitment tools to find efficiencies and automate repetitive work.
- 6:10 - 6:40pm
- Break-Out 1b - Life After Layoffs
- As People Ops leaders and advisors, we often focus on all that needs to be done leading up to layoffs. People, timing, communication, severance, budget, and a number of other factors. We don’t always give as much attention to life after layoffs. The message it sends to the rest of the team, what support systems are in place, and is everyone aligned on the direction forward. This breakout room will focus on exactly that, life after layoffs.
- 6:10 - 6:40pm
- Break-Out 1c - Leadership is Boring... & It Should Be
- Leadership is hard, we all know this. There is a ton of responsibility and pressure, lots of people counting on you, and the hours can be brutal. But one thing we don't often consider is that Leadership is hard because, when done well, it's... well, boring. Good leaders don't swan dive into passion projects. They don't unload on their teams about how hard their job is. They don't bring all of themselves to work. Good leaders stay the course. They are routined, consistent, and measured, knowing that that is what their teams need from them in good times and in uncertain ones. As we brace ourselves for ongoingly tumultuous economic times, let's explore the platitudes of leadership that, when performed repeatably, over time, create trust, alignment, and efficiency in any company.
- 6:40 - 7:25pm
- Dinner & Networking
- 7:25 - 7:55pm
- Break-Out 2a - Prospect Like a Pro
- Today's ultra-competitive job market demands innovative approaches to finding exceptional talent. Join Maisha as she unveils powerful search techniques to identify high-quality prospects for open roles. Discover hidden talent using no-cost resources and platforms. Find out how to source effectively, gain a competitive edge in the job market, and prospect like a pro.
- 7:25 - 7:55pm
- Break-Out 2b - Making Decisions in a Disruptive Business Climate
- Don't hold back on making decisions as a HR Leader. Even in a disruptive and uncertain business climate, making decisions saves time. Living in miserable maybe and indecisions is stopping you from learning and growing in your leadership and impact within your organization. Learn that there are no wrong decisions...just more decisions to make. Making decisions propels you forward. You will learn how to make intentional decisions, shift your mindset and impact when making decisions, create a culture of making decisions with other leaders, and evaluate your decisions to minimize the amount of indecision you are creating.
- 7:25 - 7:55pm
- Break-Out 2c: The Role of Wellness Programs in Fostering Resilience and Adaptability
- Would discuss how HR leaders can integrate wellness initiatives into their change management strategies, creating a sense of community to foster connection and support.
- 7:55 - 8:05pm
- Short Networking Break
- 8:05 - 8:35pm
- Break-Out 3a: Pulling Back the Curtain, How to Build a Transparent Compensation Program
- The call for transparency around compensation has never been louder. From candidates to state and provincial governments, the time to start the journey of transparency is now. Join Noah as he takes you on the journey of how Guusto developed its compensation philosophy, educated managers and executives on the importance of transparency, and set the stage for bringing transparent compensation practices to their organization. We all know why transparent compensation is excellent for DEI, bridging the wage gap and creating better employee engagement. Now learn how one company built their program and the mistakes that happened along the way.
- 8:05 - 8:35pm
- Break-Out 3b: Leadership in Rough Seas: Deepening the Anchor
- The higher the waves, the deeper our anchor needs to be as leaders. With Canadian burnout rates hovering around 35%, it's clear that as HR professionals and leaders, scented candle self care isn't cutting it--and I have nothing against scented candles! In this session, you will learn how to leverage recovery for high performance, and identify your leadership anchors: the practices that will keep you grounded and aligned through challenging times.
- 8:05 - 8:35pm
- Break-Out 3c: Building a Resilient Employer Brand: Navigating Change and a Competitive Job Market
- Layoffs, org change and/or everything in between. How did your organization's vision, mission, values live through it? How do you continue to show up to consumers/customers and still stand out in a crowded job market? Let's walk through these areas from a strategic and people ops lens.
Speakers:Elaine Lai McAnally
- 8:35 - 8:50pm
Alexandra PhizickyExecutive Leadership Coach & Facilitator
Alex is an Executive Leadership Coach and Facilitator. She brings years of experience supporting leaders as they stretch into new roles, deepen their learning of self and leadership, and redefine what it means to be an effective leader in an ever-changing world. She started her career in nonprofits before leaping to tech startups where she honed her own leadership, communication, and collaboration skills in sales and sales operations. Leadership has always been a keen interest and working in tech exposed Alex to both the rewards of skilled leaders and the repercussions of ineffective ones. In 2019, Alex earned a Graduate Certificate in Executive Coaching and a Certified Executive Coaching (CEC) designation through Royal Roads University and is a PCC-level ICF-accredited coach.
Alex is no stranger to developing teams in an ever-changing environment. She knows that for teams to succeed, people need to be engaged, which is why she is committed to helping individuals bring clarity, confidence, and energy to their jobs and lives. Alex’s natural sense of curiosity, zeal, and authenticity allows her to truly partner with her clients in defining their goals and achieving them one step at a time.
Amanda NagyHR Leader
Meet Amanda Nagy, a visionary People & Culture strategist, passionate about creating exceptional employee experiences, fostering diverse teams, and building inclusive and equitable total rewards strategies. With a proven track record of implementing operational efficiencies and coaching and mentoring others, Amanda is a true thought leader in her field. Her people-first approach to policies and processes is rooted in the belief that the right tools and resources are essential for individuals to do their best work. As a staunch ally for women and minorities in tech, Amanda actively engages in numerous communities to share her HR knowledge and expertise. She is also a vocal advocate for mental health and well-being, recognizing the importance of creating a psychologically safe work environment. When she’s not driving change in the office, you’ll find Amanda exploring her passions outside of work, from reading and testing new recipes to taking fun fitness classes and diving into new learning opportunities.
Brenda RigneyFounder & Coach
Hello, I’m Brenda. 👋🏼 My Acknowledgment:
I identify as🙍🏼♀️ she/her. I am a colonial settler with Ukrainian, Scottish and Irish heritage. I am grateful to work, live and play on the unceded Coast Salish territory of the sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh), and xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) nations.
After 25+ years of supporting entrepreneurs, corporate boards and family-owned businesses, scaling operations thoughtfully in HR, IT, Marketing & Sales, and coaching business leaders, I guide leaders and entrepreneurs on how to unleash their uniqueness, align to their purpose and take massive action with their goals.
Call it cliché, but I lead women through this work because getting my own life into alignment is when I really started living (you’ll 100% hear about some of my personal stories inside our group chats). Though I had been doing the work of bringing businesses into alignment with their values and beliefs for years—and watching them thrive in the process—it wasn’t until I turned the spotlight on myself that things started to shift. Today, I can confidently say I’m living into my ‘all’ – and yep, it’s taken something to get here. But damn, is it worth it.
By doing the work to understand your inner self with depth and clarity, and bringing those deep desires to life — you’ll watch yourself start to live and lead with your inner wisdom, and create a way of working and living that’s aligned…from the inside out.
Diandra FordePeople Ops Leader
Diandra is a People Ops leader with a passion for the tech industry and a history of helping companies scale.
She spent 8+ years in the Toronto tech community at high-growth companies, learning how to best help scale while always prioritizing a People first mentality. She’s scaled businesses from 20 to 100+ employees and helped multiple companies achieve Great Place to Work status. Experience that has made her the well-rounded People person she is today. She’s passionate about coaching, remnants from her early days as a health coach. Helping those looking to move to the next stage of their career, whether that’s levelling up or a career switch, is her superpower. Not afraid to get her hands dirty, Diandra lives and breathes in the space between executing the day-to-day and strategic planning. An approach she’s now bringing to the Vancouver tech community.
When she’s not working, you can find Diandra enjoying the Vancouver outdoors, in her Toronto sports team gear.
Elaine Lai McAnallyFounder + Partner
Elaine has been building, scaling and transforming people cultures for the past 20 years. She created With Intention Partners to help companies build and transform with intention. They hope to be the go-to for your modern HR and people ops resource helping you lead with intention, impact and influence. Elaine has been fortunate to work with some of the greatest companies including EA Sports, Roxy/Quiksilver, Aritzia, Hootsuite, Finning Digital and Pure Sunfarms (Cannabis) – all during pivotal periods of change in their business .
Elaine is driven by solving complex People problems and building purpose-led cultures and employment brands that attract today’s changing Talent landscape.
Her areas of expertise: growth & scale, along with a niche in M&A ranging from HR (due diligence), culture and risk audit and integration post acquisition; creating People & recruitment strategy; building and (re)designing strong foundations in People Operations (process nerd alert), and engaging executive Leaders of the organization to create strategies that drive purpose and results. Finally, Elaine’s last 4+ years in Cannabis forced her to reimagine all my previous learnings to recreate and operate in an industry that was brand new with no previous playbooks to rely on.
Elaine believe in driving business results by enabling People’s core talent and engaging/upskilling HR teams to do so.
Jeff WaldmanEntrepreneur & HR Tech Evangelist
Jeff Waldman is a senior HR leader and technology evangelist. His newest venture is ScaleHR, a growth ops consultancy that helps scaling companies streamline costs to empower revenue growth and employee productivity. Deeply engaged and connected within the SMB and HR technology spaces, Jeff’s influence has helped growing SMB companies strategically scale their People Operations through a combination of strategy and technology. With the world of work constantly changing, Jeff’s unique and creative perspective on business, HR, technology, and strategy has helped many growing organizations achieve extraordinary results. He has led and built HR teams at growing organizations in the technology, financial services, entertainment, broadcasting, government, not-for-profit and consulting industries. Currently, he is Founder & Principal at ScaleHR, an HR consultancy that works with growing SMBs to scale their HR and Talent operations, and HR tech startups to build amazing software. He is also the Founder of SocialHRCamp and HR Leaders Collective – experiential learning events for the HR community. Jeff is an avid speaker, blogger, and volunteer with diverse organizations and initiatives throughout North America. Originally from Vancouver, and currently living in North Toronto with his amazing wife and three awesome young boys with who he spends his personal time. He also coaches his kids’ sports teams and is an avid hockey player and snowboarder.
Juniper BelshawLeadership Development & Team Effectiveness Facilitator/Coach
Juniper Belshaw is a facilitator and coach with a focus on leadership development, team effectiveness, and adaptive change.
After ten-plus years of working and consulting in Montreal’s nonprofit sector, Juniper ran away to join the talent development team at Cirque du Soleil Entertainment Group. While there, she headed up their global leadership development, team effectiveness, and performance management initiatives globally.
Today, Juniper partners with leaders and teams in public, private, and nonprofit organizations to increase alignment, impact, and well-being. She is known for her capacity to create safe, engaging spaces that allow people to connect to themselves, each other, and the wisdom that lies within.
Juniper has a Bachelors in International Development and Environmental Studies from McGill University and a Masters in Human Systems Intervention from Concordia University. In her work, she draws on modalities such as systems thinking, process consulting, Organisational Design, participatory workflow mapping, Immunity to Change, somatics, mindfulness, and Lean Change Management to support change and development.
Mais OweisCo-Founding Partner
A co-founding partner of Beyond One Solutions, Mais is a strategic Human Resources leader with ten years of experience in talent, culture, and business strategy. Mais inspires people and companies to create a meaningful work environment. For almost a decade, she had the opportunity to lead progressive people strategies that align values and create purpose-driven cultures. Using her technical and cultural background, her approach blends Eastern and Western philosophies through placing the HR function as a pillar, to support and complement the core business.
Mais holds a BBA from Beedie School of Business, Simon Fraser University, with a specialty in Human Resource Management. Having spent most of her career as an
HR professional, her background covers hands-on, practical experience in leading organizations through Change Management. This ranges from HCM project
execution, full-cycle recruitment, policy development, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, compensation and performance management, and succession planning to organizational development. Her industry experience ranges from oil and gas, R&D, start-ups, manufacturing and medical devices.
Maisha CannonFounder & Chief Learner
Meet Maisha, the dynamic founder of The Collab Lab, Inc. A trailblazer in the recruiting industry, her enthusiasm for learning and sharing knowledge is nothing short of infectious. Maisha has delivered powerful presentations at some of the most prestigious conferences in her field. She has captivated audiences at SourceCon (7x), Recruiters Network (6x), and Gem Summit (2x).
As an industry leader, her expertise has been displayed in publications such as RecruitingDaily, RecruitingBrainfood, and SourceCon. Maisha’s inventive approach to sourcing has not gone unnoticed. She has been honoured as a finalist in the SourceCon Grandmaster Challenge and as the third-place winner in the World’s Greatest Sourcer competition.
In her current role, Maisha designs transformative L&D programs that enable talent teams to source with greater precision and less stress.
Three things Maisha’s great at — listening, learning and laughing loudly. Two impact projects she can’t get enough of — tracing her roots and designing journals for Black girls. One thing she’s sure of is; learning and sharing are the ultimate pairings. Join her in the Lab to connect, collaborate, and celebrate wins together.
Nicolas TexierAccount Executive
Nicolas Texier, an Account Executive at Teamtailor, specializes in employer branding and talent acquisition. With experience at CareerBuilder and Indeed.com, he helps companies streamline their hiring practices using innovative technologies and a candidate-centered approach to the application process.
Noah WarderHead of People
Noah has managed people and teams in Canada and the US for over ten years. He is the Head of People at Guusto, an employee recognition and rewards platform that reshapes companies’ recognition of their teams. Noah is a strong and vocal advocate of building “People-first” companies and the business benefits that come with them.
Prior to Guusto, Noah was COO/Cofounder of Battlesnake and Director of People Operations at Dyspatch. Noah also partners with early-stage founders as the Principal consultant and founder at PeopleOps Consulting to help build people-first cultures at rapidly growing companies.
In his off-time, Noah loves cooking for his family, gardening with his two sons, and hiking the trails of the Pacific Northwest.